Saturday, May 16, 2009

Poochie's Doing Great

She's become more and more goofy. She's such a princess. Except she looks like a boy so she really just seems like a dramatic gay guy. Which, by the way, I love. Actually, she isn't that dramatic, but you get what I mean.

I'm pretty sure she's learned a couple more tricks since I last blogged, but I've started to lose track. About a couple weeks ago, I really started to word hard on training her to be quiet. She's shown a lot of improvement, but still it's a challenge. It's hard when she's as protective as she is.

Though, a week ago we went to the city for my friend's 3rd annual DIY Festival and Poochie had to meet a LOT of people coming and going, along with their dogs of various sizes and attitudes. I think she was quiet the whole time because she was so overwhelmed and a little intimidated, but I like to think that she did really well. Instead of barking and screaming at every little movement or sound, she was okay. She was only a tad skiddish when people approached her and she was actually more curious than anything.


She even let this little kid pet her and be around her for a long period of time. Granted, it really did help that he lives with a dog and that his mother was there telling him what to do and how to behave around Poochie. It was great! I mean, it was a lesson for both Poochie AND me cause I really don't like kids. Rather.. I don't understand them, or trust them. Rather, I don't trust their parents. But this kid was great. He did talk a lot, but I didn't mind that too much.


After that DIY Fest, she had to stay home alone at my friend's apt - which she's previously done a couple of times - while my friends and I went out. After THAT Poochie and I went to my (DIY Fest) friend's house for their after show which had even more people, including drunk people. Again, Poochie did really well with the people, but the dogs were another issue. There was a male pup that hadn't been neutered (hopefully, YET) who had the hots for Poochie and wouldn't stop trying to hump her. And there were Eve and Crom who wanted to "eat" her.. as in.. lick her from head to toe nonstop. Poochie was so overwhelmed that she tinkled a bit, but after the other dogs calmed down Poochie was able to relax a little more.

Anyway...

  • I'm still working on Poochie's overprotective barking.
  • She learned to "high five," which is adorable.
  • I like the new "wait" command where I hold a treat/food right in front of her nose and she waits until I allow her to eat it.
She's basically 110% potty trained. I mean, she was always good about doing her duty outside, but we didn't quite have a system(?) .. or a clue for when she needed to be let out. She definitely has a schedule, but sometimes she just needs to pee an extra number of times and for a while we weren't quite sure when she needed to go out each time.

Oh, and along with teaching her to be quiet, I've been reteaching her the "come here" command since she tends to not listen to me when we're outside, or think that she can get away with it at times when we're indoors. She's improved a tremendous amt. Sometimes I forget about being repetitive with training commands.


Almost forgot.. I'd been having a really hard time teaching Poochie to be quiet so I finally decided to give in and try out one of those collar/remote things. I found an Ultrasonic sound emitting training remote from Pet Safe (Pet Safe Remote Trainer) and I stiiill don't really know what to think about it. I think I love it, but I feel like it doesn't quite work at times... Maybe it's because it's only the beginning, but I expected that to happen after continued use of it... STILL, it has helped tremendously. Poochie did try to run away from it the first few days I tried it, but recently she'd stop with the barking and actually listen and come to me ordered to.

I still don't know, though... It hadn't made as great of achievements as I would've liked it to. Whatever I think, I'm going to use it as little as possible.

0 comments: