Thursday, September 11, 2008

More Territorial than Ever

Today was a tiring day...
I took her out this morning but she could barely pee because she was focused on my next door neighbors, who were all leave the house at the same time. Poochie loves their dogs, but doesn't like the people. After a little while I took her out again in case she might have to go but she never got to focus because there was a person yaaards down and across the street walking in and out of her house. Poochie had to bark and bark and bark and bark at that person. I tried all kinds of methods to keep her attention on me and at least distract her from barking, but nothing has stuck so far. I even did Cesar Millan's methods, but to no sign of avail. If I had the money to get Cesar out here and he did come out... I bet what'll happen is that she'll listen to him and it'll work like a charm while he's there.. and as soon as Cesar's gone... Poochie will be back to her old ways. I know I'm being firm and I'm pretty sure she sees me as the leader and yet it's still hard to get her to listen to me when there are strangers around.
So far she's only seen people walking and today, for the first time, she saw a jogger. Yup, she went nuts... I have bad hearing so I never even knew someone was running by until Poochie started going nuts. This was the 3rd time I took her out to let her go potty and hopefully be able to focus, but NO.

THEN.. THEN.. the neighbor's dog, Janey came out. That was fine, Poochie loves the dogs, BUT.. the little girl (don'tknow how old she is) came over, too. Poochie started to go nuts and so Janey started to yell at Poochie.. Little girl thought Poochie was being mean to Janey, so I told her it was the other way around. I have never been around little kids and I have no idea how I'm supposed to talk to them and what I'm allowed or not allowed to tell them, but I don't believe in lying to kids, so I told her.. Poochie was never around people so she's not used to them, bla bla bla. Of course, she's a little girl who grew up with really nice, huge dogs.. and didn't fear Poochie at all. Poochie's also very tiny... The LAST thing I need is for Poochie to nip Justina and for Justina to go crying to her parents and for her parents to come screaming at me. Don't want that. Do not ever want that. Ever.. Iiiiii do not like little kids. They ask silly little things like, "Does that man (pointing to my dad) that lives with you speak Spanish?" What in the world is her mother telling her?? And what the HELL are these kids learning in school? Clearly, nothing about ethnicity. I mean, it's understandable when you're going to a school in some rural town, back in the nineties, with only one Asian and no one knows what "Korea" is. Hell, you don't even have to go to school to learn these things.
Today, though.. it's different. Kids should know the difference between a Caucasian, African American, Asian, and Mexican/Latino/etc... Okay, if we were Indian and this girl asked if my dad spoke Spanish, I can understand. When you're 7, 9, whatever her age is, that can be confusing. Maybe they came from another all-white area?

Hey, a show of hands of those who've heard rumors that Finksburg, MD (that's me) has an underground KKK!

My dislike of children definitely does not help Poochie to feel less threatened around Justina; I know this...
Poochie almost got to play with a dog. It's a shame Justina had to run over. I don't blame her, either.. her dog was in our yard and she had to be a good owner and come get her.. Sigh..... I want to understand and like kids, but... phew... like Poochie and her socializing, I have a long way to go with that.



To end on a good note... Poochie is an angel on our walks.
As for an ultimate goal, this is how Poochie will be in the future. I whole-heartedly wish:

0 comments: